Groots is a tech enterprise with the vision of building a future in which people and communities own their digital identities and are participating in the data economy on equal terms. We offer our data collection service to private and public companies, sourcing grass-roots expertise and metrics in emerging markets. Groots provides instant, primary and cheap information in a reliable and sustainable way, unlike current solutions, which are missing this symbiotic approach and struggle with user fatigue. We are rewarding those who have field expertise and first-hand information. The data we collect enables better consumer products, economic and social development as well as environmental protection.
Groots is a dynamic start up and currently growing within the entrepreneurship biosphere at GIZ, the German development agency. This gives us access to an extensive network of colleagues in more than 130 countries worldwide.
The diverse crew behind Groots are global citizens and builders at heart. We are in an early stage start-up situation, constantly iterating and finding new approaches to our mission. Groots has performed extensive user research and developed products for our first clients in Asia, East-Africa and Latin-America. Now we’re about to bring our swarm-based service to Bolivia. The project involves analysing the current data landscape of the water sector in Bolivia as well as collecting new data that will help improve situation of water access and sanitation.
We are looking for a Data Scientist who is able to conceptualize complex systems of data collection, validation, integration and analysis.
This position will be a consulting contract starting in February 2020 and running until September 2021 with possibility of extension. Frequent travels and short-term stays in South America are required.
What we offer
- We are aiming at making data collection in emerging markets fair. Big task and responsibility –and our team is united in making the future of data more transparent and participative
- Groots is truly international with colleagues from Asia, Europe and the Americas working from Bangkok and Berlin. That isn’t always easy and all shiny – but we’re proud of our diversity.
- Our team is still quite small, so decisions go quick, responsibility is high and everyone’s contributions are always welcome at any time.
- We’re growing – and that means we’re looking to develop the people we work with. Potentially into future employees, growing with the company.
- Assess raw data requirements in a given industry project and understands existing procedures and methods of data sourcing and handling in the respective field
- Perform raw data gap analysis, taking existing, often low-quality, data sets into account
- Develop concepts of standardized data management procedures (including identification of data sources, collection methods, data validation and processing)
- Professionally communicate and liase within a complex stakeholder structure
- Ensure successful implementation of data analysis and innovative data collection work packages and closely coordinate with relevant stakeholders
- Data science expertise
- Ability to work independently, flexibly and in remote team working environment
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Frequent travels or short-term stays in South America
- Fluent English is mandatory, business Spanish is a big plus.
We hope to have you join our team very soon. Please send your CV and short motivation letter to email@example.com.